Monday, January 01, 2007

Have a blessed one....everyone!

Here we are, in a brand new year. Where has the time gone?

Christmas was absolutely wonderful for us this year. The kids have gotten everything they wanted, from us, from Wood Lane, and from St. Louis Parish (the latter two both adopted us for the holidays....phenomenal!). A lot of their presents have been musical instruments, keyboards, a guitar (actually, that's coming today at my family get-together), and microphones. Is someone trying to make us a family band? Daddy got his MP3, Momma got her new under-the-counter coffee maker and a stand mixer. Plus, right now all of us are pretty healthy. We are blessed. Isn't that what really matters? Not the gifts...but the blessings from God. We have them brand new every day!

Lord, the rest of this blog I am talking to You. You know I don't usually make resolutions, because they never last long. but last year I started something, and it worked out pretty well, so I intend to do it again. I have a theme verse for this new year, 2007, and it is one that I will meditate on every day, along with a lot of related verses. My theme this year is taking me back to the very basics of communication with You... prayer. My life, starting here, starting now, is totally based on prayer.

"My people, my God-defined people, (if you) respond by humbling yourselves, praying, seeking my presence, and turning your backs on your wicked lives, I'll be there ready for you; I'll listen from heaven, forgive your sins, and restore your land to health..."

II Chronicles 7:14 ("The Message)

Most of the time, Lord, I know this scripture best as what follows, particularly because there were a couple of songs written around it:

"If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Prayer is the beginning of everything in our lives, or rather, it should be. Everything this family of mine wants to do in this new year, and from here on out will start with talking to You, God, and getting Your blessing, or it just won't happen. Period. I'm not talking about those common sense things, like, "Should I go to the bathroom now, God, or should I wait?" In those cases, if you gotta go, you gotta go! But in all the IMPORTANT, life-changing aspects of our lives at home, at school, at work, at church...You, God, will begin them.

I know full well, Lord, that You have also take both Russ and I to this scripture:

"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain."

Psalm 127:1

Look at how the Message lays it out:

"If God doesn't build the house, the builders only build shacks. If God doesn't guard the city, the night watchmen might as well nap".

You've also shown us the story of Moses in Exodus 33:

"Moses said to the Lord, 'You have been telling me, 'Lead these people', but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' If You are so pleased with me, teach me Your ways so that I may know You and continue to find favor with You. Remember that this nation is Your people.' The Lord replied, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.' Then Moses said to Him, 'If Your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that You are pleased with me and with Your people unless You go with us? What else will distinguish me and Your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?' And the Lord said to Moses, 'I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.' Then Moses said, 'Now show me Your glory.'

I don't ever want to get ahead of God. He has made himself so real to me in 2006; He has proven his power and His presence to me numerous times, in such real, practical ways that I could almost hear Him breathing. He's real, and my life with Him needs to be real, open, honest. And His presence needs to be with me every step of the way.

Isn't it that way for us all? I wonder how many people ever really consider how much they do without God? I see a few at our church now, that run of, "half-cocked" as my dad and mom used to say, doing what they think is the right thing to do, and barrelling down everyone in their path. It's not right, God. Our closeness with You, especially in this awful day and age, is VITAL. Why can't everyone see that?

Lord, be with Russ, and me, and with each of our kids in 2007. Be with all of us at First Assembly in Defiance. We know already some of the plans You have for us. Help us as we bring them to fruition. Be with us each and every step of the way. And thank You for always being there, for never changing. SHow me more of You, Lord. I really want to see Your glory. I need to see it. I need more of You. I love You, Lord...and I'll talk to You again.....VERY SOON.

More later..........

No comments: